Saturday 5 May 2012

Beauty Basics: Top 5 MAC Face Brushes


Are you considering investing in brushes for your face? Don’t know where to start? Here’s my guide to 5 basic MAC makeup brushes to begin with, to help you achieve that flawless look.

MAC 187 Stipling Face Brush (£32.50)
A large full circular brush, used for lightweight application and blending of face powder. The brush is made from a super soft blend of goat and synthetic fibres. 

I originally used this brush to apply MAC mineralize skinfinish and I loved the results! The application was really soft and gave a lovely soft, light coverage to my skin; more of a subtle glow as a pose to shine.
I have recently been using the brush as my go-to everyday brush for powder blusher. Sometimes ultra pigmented blushes are really hard to blend out, but with this brush, it is amazing at picking up the right amount of blush to give you a dusting of colour that is perfect for a day-time look.
I have used this brush to apply cream foundation (Bobbi Brown Oil-Free Even Finish Compact Foundation) and the results are very natural and light. Personally, I prefer using a sponge to apply this particular foundation as I really only use it for special occasions where I want to have full coverage. I am yet to try the 187 with liquid foundation (I use Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation SPF 15) as I currently use my fingers, but this brush has been known to create an ‘airbrush’ look to your skin with the use of liquid foundation so I will definitely be trying it out soon! 

MAC 130 Short Duo Fibre Brush (£28.00)
A short, round dual fibre with flat head composed of both natural bristles and synthetic fibres ideal for application with creams, emulsions & various powder products.

I’ve been using this brush to apply my cream blushes and it works wonderfully. I lightly swirl it in the cream blush and then blend into the apples of my cheeks in small, buffed circular motions. I like the firmness of this brush in comparison to the MAC 188 – which can also be used for cream blush.
Alternatively, this brush can also be used for cream bronzers, buffing in the same way you would a power bronzer.
If you tend to wear foundation just on your T-Zone, this brush could also work in applying your liquid foundation as the compact, dense brush head allows for greater control and blending as well as being small enough to apply product around the nose.

This brush is definitely a must-have for those who wear cream blush or cream bronzer on a regular basis. Especially coming into the Summer months, a buff of cream blush or bronzer can give your skin a really fresh dewy JLO glow.

MAC 168 Large Angled Contour Brush (£26.00)
For expert application of cheek contour. The brush is a large angled contour – the fibres form a buffed edge and are soft and firmly bundles.



The 168 is excellent for contouring cheekbones, forehead and jaw line. The 168 is soft to the touch with minimal shedding. The bristled rounded angled brush has a bit of fluffiness to it, making it perfect for picking up the right amount of product to contour (or apply bronzer with) so that you can layer for intensity as desired.

Your makeup brush collection is not complete without this classic, basic angled brush, which you can never go wrong purchasing.

MAC 129 Powder/Blush Brush (£26.00)
All-purpose for blush or face powder. This brush is particularly good for blush application. The fibres are soft and form a full, rounded shape.

The 129 is a rounded, dome shaped brush which I use with powder blush when I want a more intense look, and also with bronzer for everyday.
I also use this brush to blend out powder to blush as a pose to applying powder direct as I don’t use that much face powder anyway.

This is again, another staple brush to add to your collection, one that can ultimately be used to apply 3 different products effortlessly.

MAC 227 Large Fluff Brush (£22.00)
An extra large paddle-shaped brush with fluffed, rounded tip. Of soft natural fibre, this brush is versatile in function and can be used on either the face or eye. Use for applying, blending, or highlighting any powder-based products.



This brush is extremely dense, soft, and packs on colour well. I like to use this brush to apply highlighter to my cheekbones and collarbone. Its big enough to pick up the right amount of product to cover the desired area, but small enough so that it doesn’t go all over your cheeks too!
This brush also doubles up as a highlighter for brow-bones and the inner corner of my eyes.

This is a lovely brush which has amazing precision of application. Cannot fault it.

So there you have it - my top 5 MAC face brushes. What are your top 5 MAC brushes? Do you use any of the brushes above for additional purposes? Let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment